American Airlines has introduced a new promotion in partnership with Stand Up To Cancer. By participating, you can donate to this important cause while earning AAdvantage miles at a rate as low as 2 cents per mile.
When you donate $25 or more to SU2C, you’ll earn 25 American AAdvantage miles per dollar. But when you use your American Airlines AAdvantage Mastercard credit card to donate $25 to $10,000, you’ll earn an impressive 50 miles per dollar.
The opportunity to earn 50 miles per dollar is available until Sept. 30 or until the maximum donation of $3 million is reached.
Since American launched its partnership with SU2C in 2016, the airline has helped raise more than $17.5 million for cancer research and treatments through annual fundraising campaigns and efforts.
Its special SU2C livery, pictured below, features the names of 22,627 individuals who have battled cancer.
You can donate here, where you’ll input your AAdvantage frequent flyer number, your first and last name and the donation amount. The website will also tell you how many miles you’ll earn with your donation with the current 25- or 50-miles-per-dollar promo.
Here’s a look at some of our favorite AAdvantage Mastercards, which you can use to earn 50 miles per dollar on this offer:
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® (see rates and fees): Earn 100,000 bonus miles after you spend $10,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening. Earn 4 miles per dollar on eligible American Airlines purchases. Then, if you spend $150,000 on purchases in a calendar year, you’ll earn a boosted rate of 5 miles per dollar spent on American purchases for the remainder of the calendar year. Earn 10 miles per dollar spent on eligible car rentals and hotels booked through American’s car rental and hotel booking sites. Earn 1 mile per dollar spent on other purchases
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®: Earn 50,000 bonus miles after spending $2,500 on purchases in the first three months of account opening. Earn 2 miles per dollar on gas station, restaurant and eligible American Airlines purchases and 1 mile per dollar on other purchases
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard®: Earn 65,000 bonus miles after spending $4,000 on purchases within the first four months of account opening. Earn 2 miles per dollar on eligible American Airlines purchases plus telecom merchants, cable and satellite providers, car rentals and gas stations. Earn 1 mile per dollar on other purchases.
- AAdvantage® Aviator® Red World Elite Mastercard®: Earn 50,000 bonus miles after making your first purchase in the first 90 days and paying the annual fee. Earn 2 miles per dollar on American Airlines purchases and 1 mile per dollar on other purchases.
- AAdvantage® Aviator® World Elite Business Mastercard®: Earn 50,000 bonus miles after spending $4,000 on purchases in the first 90 days, plus another 25,000 bonus miles after spending $10,000 in the first 12 months. Earn 2 miles per dollar on office supply, telecom, car rental and eligible American Airlines purchases, and 1 mile per dollar on other purchases.
The information for the CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select, AAdvantage Aviator Red , Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite World EliteMastercard, and AAdvantage Aviator Business cards has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuers.
Rewarding reading in less than 5 minutes
Join over 700,000 readers for breaking news, in-depth guides and exclusive deals from TPG’s experts
At 50 miles per dollar, for instance, a $500 donation to SU2C awards you 25,000 AAdvantage miles; we value this at $442.50 — a terrific return for your generous contribution to SU2C.
Note that bonus miles do not count toward elite status qualification. You won’t earn Loyalty Points.
“For charitable deduction purposes, each mile is valued at 3 cents per mile. The receipt of miles may reduce the tax deductibility of your contribution,” the terms also state.
Whatever amount you donate, 100% will go to SU2C, so earning up to 50 miles per dollar only sweetens the deal.
Additional reporting by Stella Shon.